Monday, 12 September 2011

Tomato Tarte Tatin

It’s not been a great year for tomatoes in our garden but then it’s not been that bad either. I wish I could pass on gems of wisdom about how to grow the best tomatoes in a variable climate but I’m still wondering myself.  The only useful thing that I think I can say is that, after a number of years, Sungold is still my favourite variety of tomato to grow. It’s small, relatively common and doesn’t look too inspiring but it’s reliable and has the sweetest and most addictive flavour when freshly picked of any tomato that I’ve ever tried to grow.

On the other hand, if you have some larger tomatoes to use up, then this recipe is excellent. To call it a Tarte Tatin is likely to have the Tatin sisters turning in their graves, but let’s not worry too much about that for the moment. This is an Australian recipe by Marieke Brugman and I first came across it some years ago when she was still at the apparently now defunct Howqua Dale Gourmet Retreat in Victoria. You can find the full recipe here.
Tomato Tarte Tatin

For once in my life I pretty much stuck to the original recipe, although I did cut down the quantities a little and I used a good Greek feta rather than a goat’s cheese. The pastry may seem a little unlikely for a tarte Tatin but it works really well in this recipe. A bit messy to eat, perhaps, but all you need is a small fresh green salad alongside for a superb lunch.

14 comments:

  1. Wow. Looks amazing and I made something very similar tonight too which is weired!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine that this tart is fantastic.What a great idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like the perfect end of summer dish to me. The flavour combo has my mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The recipe sounds really good, and your tart looks superb - very appetising!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks really good and sounds delicious. I'm planning on making a tomato tart tomorrow with our first batch of ripened tomatoes. Do you grow sunburst outside? With no greenhouse we don't get ripe tomatoes very often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments, everyone.
    Choclette - yes, I grow all my toms outside. (I've got a tiny greenhouse, but it's always full of other things.) Sungold produces early fruit which tends to start ripening early as well. You don't really get a massive crop but you get a steady supply over quite a long period, which suits us perfectly. Well worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have sooo many tomatoes growing right now! This looks like a great recipe to try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks absolutely delicious! I have been roasting tomatoes today and the house is filled with the most delicious scent so looking at your tart is making my mouth water. Are sungold yellow? We have had some really delicious yellow tomatoes this year but have lost the seed packet. We have had a funny year for tomatoes too, the ones that have ripened have been delicious, but there is more foliage than tomatoes (that might be us being poor gardeners).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I used to order something very similar at Les Philosophes on rue vieille du temple in Paris (sigh). It's tomato planting season here, can you remind me of this recipe in about four months please?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kath - Sungold are orange when ripe. Or, if you write seed or plant catalogues, then they're a golden orange. (Not sure what a golden orange is, myself).
    KitchenMaid - I've eaten on the Rue Vieille du Temple but never at Les Philosophes. Now that you mention it, though, I really want to spend the day wandering Le Marais and eating a Tarte Tatin in the evening. I think I'll just go and look for bargains (really cheap ones, preferably) on the Eurostar site...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our sungold tomatoes did really well in the greenhouse this year - it's my favourite tomato, such a lovely colour!

    Your tatin looks very tasty - I will file it for later when my other half returns from his travels - I don't think it would do my diet any good to eat a whole one to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ours are definitely yellow - I wonder what they are? Oh to be more organised....

    ReplyDelete
  13. this just reinforced my obsession with tomatoes!!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry but I've had to switch word verification on due to a vast amount of very depressing spam.