Monday, 14 May 2012

Choccy Philly Frozen Yogurt

Many cookbooks and TV cookery shows warn us that we must have recipes up our sleeves for the “Unexpected Guest”. I always imagine hordes of ravenous Unexpected Guests wandering the country looking for victims. So, if you’re troubled by the pesky Unexpected Guest, then this recipe could come in handy.

Frankly, I should be ashamed of myself for even calling it a recipe. But since I have no pride and I currently have an infatuation for choccy philly (OK, Philadelphia with Cadbury, if I have to call it by its proper name) then I must point out that it makes a very pleasant and surprisingly healthy frozen yogurt.
Choccy Philly Frozen Yogurt
This probably isn’t the most refined chocolate ice you’ll ever have but it’s very moreish and really couldn’t be simpler.

250 g Philadelphia Cadbury (a.k.a. choccy philly)
250 ml low-fat pouring yogurt
4 tsp icing sugar (optional)

Whisk together the philly and the yogurt thoroughly. Whisk in the icing sugar, if you decide to use it. (The icing sugar isn’t essential but freezing seems to kill off sweetness, so I put a little back in.) Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn in the usual way.

And that’s it.

If you store this in the freezer for any time, then it’s best taken out and allowed to soften a little before eating.

Despite the fact that this is hardly a recipe at all, I’m submitting it to the May Bloggers Scream For Ice Cream challenge over at Kavey Eats. Now, you’ll have to excuse me, there’s someone at the door – I think it might be an Unexpected Guest or that annoying person from Porlock again.

13 comments:

  1. Ha, love your post, am now imagining those hordes roaming around suburban Britain! Ha! And hey, easy recipes are just as welcome as the super impressive ones, it's good to have lots of choices. Welcome to BSFIC! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so creamy and sweet! Love it! Happy to follow your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant idea and I think you can definitely call it a recipe :) I'll be knocking on your door for this! I am also a recent choccy philly addict - been making lots of cake truffles with them or just eating straight from the tub. Definitely trying this tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm this sounds good - i might just have to lock the door and send the unexpected guest on their way - no sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! It's a perfect treat for the family yesterday and today. It's very hot here 105F yesterday and today 106F!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever its name, it looks good! Actually I like how you have called it. It seems so creamy and delicious and very easy to make (that's always good!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I had an ice-cream maker....I have the choccy philly - it was 80p a tub in Tesco this week.
    I'm sure if I had a spoonful of this I would think I had died and gone to heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO pleased it is NOT just me who has a fetish for chocolate philly spread....I could inhale it! SO, this is JUST the recipe for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phil, I really must get hold of some of this stuff, especially as everyone was raving about it in last month's WSC. Sounds like a great ice cream for that unexpected guest - unfortunately for them, out doorbell doesn't work, so they would have to go away disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so inviting Phil; I have never had choccy philly, I am missing out! Loved that there is yoghurt in it, always welcome in our home, will try this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just catching up on Google Reader so I'm a bit late but I have got to try this! I don't like chocolate ice cream but I love chocolate Philly so this must be gorgeous, and no hassle of having to make custard etc. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your sense of humour, its so dry and very British :) I tend to find Canadians a bit on the sincere side, and I love coming over here and laughing out loud at your little asides :) Unfortunately we don't get chocolate philly here, but perhaps I can try it with something else. Will keep you posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no you didn't =O I'm joking! This is pure genius :)

    ReplyDelete