Indonesian Satay Bread – A Random Recipe

For this month’s Random Recipe challenge Dom of  Belleau Kitchen paired off last month’s entrants so that we could pick each other’s recipes. I was paired with Lucy of the excellent Vanilla Frost. Sadly for poor Lucy I spend a fair amount of time off line and away from technology but we eventually managed make a suitable selection following some exotic numerology. I got Sonia Allison’s ‘Complete Bread Machine Cookbook’, first published in 2001.

More years ago than I care to remember we bought a bread machine. They were very new at the time and, compared to today’s models, pretty basic. We used it off and on but it didn’t produce great bread. Years later I was given Ms Allison’s book and quickly came to the conclusion that the worst thing about our bread machine was the book of recipes that came with it. Thanks to Ms Allison I learnt a new respect for bread machines. OK I know that as a food blogger I should be making my own sourdough loaves in an oven fired by driftwood gathered off the coast of Sarawak and using a starter found in one of the pyramids but, on a busy weekend, machines will do fine for me.

The particular recipe that Lucy randomly selected is called ‘Indonesian Satay Bread’, although, to be honest, it doesn’t have much to do with satay or Indonesia. I admit that this may not be the most exciting or original recipe in the world but it’s a quick and very easy way to make a tasty and slightly unusual loaf. Great for wrapping up kebabs or some sort of spicy sandwich. In the original recipe Ms Allison suggested the use of a commercial stir-fry sauce that seems to be no longer available. So I used a Blue Dragon wasabi and plum sauce that took my fancy in the supermarket.
Indonesian Satay Bread
Our old bread machine gave up the ghost several years ago and we bought one of the excellent Panasonic machines. The newer bread machines do work more efficiently and I’ve had to tweak the original recipe for the more modern machine – in particular I’ve cut the amount of yeast. I’ve also given the ingredients in the order suitable for a Panasonic, which adds dry ingredients first. Many bread machines add wet ingredients first, so reverse the order if yours works that way.

Sadly Sonia Allison died suddenly the year after the Bread Machine Cookbook was published. I remain eternally grateful to her for persuading me that the machines were really worth the trouble.

1 tsp fast-action dried yeast
450 g strong white bread flour
2 tsp light soft brown sugar
1¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp skimmed milk powder
1 tbsp oil
4 tbsp wasabi and plum stir-fry sauce (or whatever sauce appeals)
275 ml water

Add the ingredients to the bucket in the order given (see above if you’re not using a Panasonic machine). Set the machine to Basic Bread and the size to large. That’s all there is to it – just press ‘start’, sit back and wait.

Comments

  1. I love my bread machine and also have that book and a couple of others. Great job on the Random Recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I would never have thought to add stir fry sauce to a bread recipe. Looks and sounds great though Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an unusual recipe. I gave up using my bread machine last year in favour of hand made but this does look so simple and I remember my machine with fondness. Very random indeed! Thanks for taking part x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are making me wonder whether I am missing out here; I have never understood the need for a bread machine, but I see that so many people use them, including in France to make baguettes and such. This bread sounds and looks great, I am surprised at the tiny amount of yeast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, I wonder if my bread machine still works? I'm not sure I even know where to find it... but you do make me nostalgic for the times when it was very busy. and we'd set it up to start making bread in the middle of the night so we could wake to the smell of it baking instead of an alarm clock...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm finding it hard to imagine the flavour, but this looks a lovely textured loaf - perhaps something like tomato purée and herbs, or pesto, would give a more useful product.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never had this kind of bread before.Someone gifted me bread machine but I use it very rare..always kneed my dough:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an unusual recipe! Well done for entering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "as a food blogger I should be making my own sourdough loaves in an oven fired by driftwood gathered off the coast of Sarawak and using a starter found in one of the pyramids" - ha ha ha ha! Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your description of what we should be doing as food bloggers when it comes to breadmaking. But I too enjoy the odd shortcut or two... What an interesting bread recipe Phil- good selection for Random Recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally random - but sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sound delicous! what a different bread. I am ashamed to say I have never made bread before even though it is one of my favourite foods. You've got a mind thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm, as a Luddite I wonder if I can use that satay sauce technique in the bread I make by hand. It's worth a crack, surely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your title caught my eye; it is really interesting to incorporate the Indonesian satay sauce into the bread, a truly unique recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing wrong with bread machines - I'm sure the bread is infinitely better than most that you can buy. I loved your methodology for this one - short and very much to the point - press start!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Sorry but I've had to switch word verification on due to a vast amount of very depressing spam.

Popular posts from this blog

Palestine Soup

Hollygog Pudding

Duck Apicius