Onion Walnut Muffins–A Random Recipe

For the March Random Recipe challenge Dom of of Belleau Kitchen has given us the number 17. I went to the least used shelf of the bookcase (the top one) where the 17th book was ‘The Hudson River Valley Cookbook’ by Waldy Malouf. This book was published in the nineties, which is when I got hold of a copy, but I haven’t opened it in quite a while. Maybe I’ve been led astray by books containing more glossy pictures by chefs with glossy TV shows but more fool me, because there are some excellent recipes in this collection.

The book opened at the page for Onion Walnut Muffins, which is probably because there was a piece of paper stuck in it at that point. I think I'd put it there years ago when I thought about making them but never got round to it. Maybe that’s not truly random, but having read the recipe, I really wanted to give them a go.

The muffins are intensely savoury and make a great alternative to bread alongside any number of dishes. I’m sure they could also be adapted with judicious use of other nuts and one or two spices. I can’t say that every Random Recipe challenge has resulted in a dish that I’d make regularly but there are a number that have. This is definitely one of them.
Onion Walnut Muffins
Following a little bit of searching, I’m happy to report that you can find the original recipe here.

I’ve only three things to add:
  • The original recipe says that it will make 20 muffins. Actually, I’d say that it makes 20 mini-muffins. For me, the amount given made 12 medium-sized muffins. I think that’s not a bad size to choose, although the mini-muffins would be great as appetisers.

  • I found that the muffins cooked a little more quickly than the recipe suggests, so keep an eye on them.

  • I’d advise against mixing these up with sweet muffins. Getting one of these savoury little treats with your afternoon cuppa might come as a bit of a shock.

Comments

  1. These sound delicious and the kind of muffins we would love. Definitely on my 'to do' list. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh I'm not sure if that counts as cheating, but I have to say, those muffins look divine. I love walnuts and I love savoury muffins, so will add these to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can quite see why you would want to make these again and again, they sound delicious.

    On another note Phil. Can you recommend a good French baking book - not for posh patisserie Parisenne but for the likes of nonnettes, friands, breton cake - that sort of thing? Those hidden gems that you've brought to light has got me thinking there is probably a whole lot more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tough question, Choclette. One of the reasons why so many French baking recipes turn up in my blog is that I found it really hard to find a good recipe book for some of the fascinating bakes that I'd seen and eaten around France. Recipe books for fine patisserie and especially fine tarts are quite common but not what I was looking for. Some recipes, like the nonnettes, proved really tricky to track down (I thnk I just about avoided a diplomatic incident). There are some very good regional French recipe books around but finding a general baking book that I'd recommend has proved elusive so far. However, recently I have heard some good things about Ginette Mathiot's 'The Art of French Baking' published last year. But I have to confess that I haven't had a chance to look at a copy so far.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Phil. I had a look at GMs book in Waterstones today, but it wasn't really what I was looking for. As you say, it probably doesn't exist. I'll just have to keep a very close eye on your blog instead. Or maybe you could write the book???

      Delete
  4. These look great Phil. I really should try some more savoury muffins. I'm always drawn to the sweet stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never made savoury muffins before. Love the idea of walnuts and onions. These can make a lovely lunch together with a bowl of salad. Healthy and nutricious. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound very interesting! They look good too! I ought to do more savoury baking, but we are a very sweet-toothed family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore a savoury muffin Phil and these look so good with the combo of onion and walnut which is just excellent I can totally see why these would be a firm favourite. I love the fact that you purposely went for the unloved book shelf which is exactly what this challenge is all about. Thanks so much for taking part x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm definitely a savoury person and these look lovely. I also often find that recipes make fewer of the amount than they say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Muffins! If only my random recipe this month was as lovely and straightforward as these muffins. I'm not giving anything away, except I've needed to purchase stuff online and there's 48 hours between creation and tasting. A perfect gap to make and eat savoury muffins methinks. Thanks for this recipe, Phil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's really going the extra mile. I'm intrigued. I'm looking forward to your random recipe.

      Delete
  10. These sound so good! Yum, what a great combo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOh what a great savourty muffin, bet it would go great with a homely soup.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm more a savoury than sweet kind of eater, so these muffins sound just yummy. went to take a look at the recipe too, and sounds pretty doable! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks and sounds delicious and to be paired with a cuppa. Now that's my cuppa tea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea! I ll deffinatelly try these sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh, now I'm wondering about how to make the mini ones into part of a lovely starter. Some baked goat's cheese perhaps?
    I'm also wondering about doing a bit of cheating and going through all my books and putting little bits of paper in wherever there's a recipe I really fancy trying. Then all my random recipes should be winners! Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love new muffin recipes! Thanks for sharing! New follower:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  17. These would be lovely with a bowl of soup. I like Jac's starter idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look delicious!! An interesting combination of flavours which I can imagine would work well together. I'll have to give these a go too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! Just passing by and I noticed "WALNUTS"! And had to stop here. I have a walnut tree at home, so this recipe will come in handy, for sure. I like the way you added the 3 things at the end of your post. Great tips.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Sorry but I've had to switch word verification on due to a vast amount of very depressing spam.

Popular posts from this blog

Palestine Soup

Hollygog Pudding

Duck Apicius