New Year Blatherskite

I know I should be telling you about all the fine things that I've cooked lately, but I've been diseased and dilapidated lately and I haven't cooked anything at all. So I thought for once I'd tell you about something else instead.

I could tell you about the packet of  Pudding Rice that I bought a while ago which helpfully told me on the said packet that it was “Ideal for Rice Pudding”. But, on reflection, I think I'll pass on a few items that I've spotted on menus over the years instead. (I swear these are genuine although not from the same restaurant).
Today's Menu
I also feel it's my duty to present a reproduction of a specials board that I spotted a while back.
Special Today
Finally, as the following photograph taken in the lab shows, I'm happy to say that my investigation into how all the flavour is removed from supermarket cheese continues apace.
The Great Supermarket Cheese Experiment
Normal, haphazard service should be resumed shortly, but in the meantime
Happy New Year

Comments

  1. Happy New Year to you too, Phil. Hope you soon feel better.
    Menus translated into English in French restaurants are always good for a laugh. One dish that springs to mind was described as "young cow's laughter in his grandmother's blue".....your guess is as good as mine as to what it actually was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an excellent menu item. Strangely only the first of the items on my menu above was an attempt at translation (by a Belgian restaurant). The others were all in England and written, it seems by English speakers. I'm not really sure what conclusion to draw from that. However, I'm ordering a plate of young cow's laughter at the earliest opportunity.

      Delete
    2. Phil, it has just dawned on me that it was sweetbreads - ris de veau - rire being the French verb to laugh! Therefore the laughter of a young cow!
      D'oh…..

      Delete
    3. Oh yes. I hadn't thought of that. Still not sure about grandmother's blue unless there was blue cheese involved.

      Delete
  2. Phil, I normally use fragrance-free soaps, but maybe I should try that chicken soap! Hope you get over being diseased and dilapidated soon and get back into the kitchen. I'm very conscious of animal welfare when I'm buying my groceries, so I certainly wouldn't buy the poor "reviled whitebait!" Love those typos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that chicken soap is widely available, especially the formidabel version. I've yet to meet Green Al as well.

      Delete
  3. Oh no, sorry to hear you've not been well. Hope that was a temporary thing. Love all this especially the orange juice made with lemons. Wishing you a very happy and disease free new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slowly getting back to normal (if you can call my usual state normal) with the help of plenty of fresh orange juice made with lemons.

      Delete
  4. Happy New year Phil. Glad to hear you are getting better; am sure the chicken soap has helped! I've seen some weird and wonderful food advertised locally too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the excitement must get too much for some people when they get the chance to write menus. Either that or it's the job nobody wants to do.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Sorry but I've had to switch word verification on due to a vast amount of very depressing spam.

Popular posts from this blog

Palestine Soup

Hollygog Pudding

Duck Apicius