Sweet Potato Soup with White Wine, Lime and Chillies

It's getting very autumnal and, for me, that means it's soup time. Recently I was listening to someone talking on the radio about how unusual it was to use wine in a soup. I wasn't convinced that it was that unusual and I began trying to remember any soups that I'd made with wine. From somewhere deep in my confused memory,  I recovered this one from the distant past.

It's a simple enough soup but if the balance between the sweet ingredients (the leeks and sweet potatoes) and the sharp ingredients (dry white wine and lime) is just right, then I think it's a bit special. The touch of chilli heat rounds it off very nicely for me. Of course, there are a lot of variables such as the size and sweetness of the sweet potatoes, so it's the perfect excuse to taste carefully and repeatedly before serving to your victims, sorry, I mean guests.

You could use any chilli paste or sauce you like in this soup but one with a good savoury flavour and maybe a little smokiness works best. I used an urfa chilli paste this time, but you could use something like a hot Turkish pepper paste (aci biber salçasi) or, if you're showing off, something homemade. Just don't use too much of it, or you'll mask the other flavours. It's best to start off with a small amount and add any extra you think it needs after tasting.

Sweet Potato Soup with White Wine, Lime and Chillies

This will make around 5 lunch-sized portions but will fill a few more delicate, starter bowls.

2 large leeks, white part only, washed and cut into roughly 1cm rounds

3 garlic cloves, crushed

1 tsp ginger, puréed or very finely grated

1 - 2 tsp urfa chilli paste (see above for alternatives)

150ml dry white wine 

1 litre stock, use a chicken or a rich vegetable stock (or a combination)

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 - 2cm pieces

1 lime, juice only

Parsley or chervil and crisp fried onion or shallot, to serve 


Soften the leeks slowly in a little olive oil for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and continue frying gently for 5 more minutes. Stir in the chilli paste and wine and reduce by about a half. Add the stock, some salt and pepper and the sweet potatoes. Cover and simmer for 30 - 40 minutes until everything is soft. 

Add half of the lime juice. Purée in a blender (or with a hand blender) until you get a smooth consistency and a suitable thickness. (You may need to add a little water). Taste and blend in as much of the reserved lime juice and any seasoning or additional chilli paste that you think it needs. 

Decorate with a sprinkling of finely-chopped parsley (or chervil if you have it) and a few crispy, fried onions or shallots.


Comments

  1. We are having a brief return to warm(ish) weather here up north and enjoying salad lunches and the occasional bbq (well just one!) while it lasts. Your soup sounds delicious and perfect to warm us up and brighten our day when the miserable weather returns, which it surely will!
    I frequently use wine in soup, in fact a splash of something is usually added to most of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This usually happens to me: if I make soup, the weather will get surprisingly warm and if I make a salad, then expect a cold snap. I've used wine in quite a few soups of various kinds over the years and I did think it was odd when I heard this particular chef suggest that it was an abnormal thing to do. I think he was a young chef from a London restaurant and, typically for me, I'm sorry to say that I've completely forgotten his name.

      Delete
    2. I just made a soup maker version. Delicious !!

      Delete
    3. Excellent. I feel guilty now for not being enthusiastic about soup makers in the past.

      Delete
  2. I love soups on a miserable or cold day. This one sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the colour and lively taste of this soup would cheer up a sad winter day. It works for me, anyway.

      Delete
  3. Argh! Racking my brain now as to whether I've ever used wine in soup. I'm not at all sure. But whether I have or whether I haven't your soup sounds delicious and it looks the part too. We've been eating a lot of soup since we moved into October.

    I used rather too much chilli in the last one and not only did it take us a very long time to eat it, but it sadly masked the flavours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to add too much chilli and I suppose the only very small upside is that it forces you to eat slowly while you recover between spoonfuls.

      Delete
  4. I made this soup in the summer, I topped it with a crema and dash of chili flakes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I think about sweet potato in the autumn and not the summer. The chilli and the sweetness would be perfect on a summer day and, now you mention it, I think the first time I had a soup like this may have been on a warm summer day many years ago before enjoying a fine, spicy barbecue.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Sorry but I've had to switch word verification on due to a vast amount of very depressing spam.

Popular posts from this blog

Palestine Soup

Hollygog Pudding

Duck Apicius