Pecan Puffs

For this month’s Random Recipe challenge Dom of Belleau Kitchen has asked us to select a recipe from our newest book – maybe one we got for Christmas. Now I'm not trying to be difficult but it's a few years since I bought a genuinely new cookery book and I don't really do the Christmas present thing. So I've interpreted this challenge a little freely. The book that's newest to me is one I bought from a charity bookstall – Sophie Grigson’s “Sophie’s Table” published back in 1990.

Opening the book at random I was faced with a recipe (originally an American recipe, in fact) for Pecan Puffs, which bizarrely enough I saw Ms Grigson cook on a TV show just a few weeks ago. So that means that she's been making these same biscuits for more than 20 years and you can't get a better recommendation than that. She describes them as “devastatingly good” and, having tried them I absolutely agree.

You can find the recipe here.
Pecan Puffs
You can replace the pecans with almonds, toasted hazelnuts or walnuts, although personally I love the pecan taste. I got around 45 small biscuits and they would have lasted about 45 minutes but I threatened myself with violence if I didn't stop eating them.

Comments

  1. oooh, they're adorable!... a little bit like my cinnamon balls methinks?... I love anything like this with a cloud of icing sugar on top so you cough at first bite... genius!... and you can interpret this challenge however you fancy, so long as you don't cheat when it comes to picking that recipe... thanks so much for taking part again, it is truly appreciated ... and Happy New Year (never to late to say that...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I never. I cam across these on the Caked Crusader's site earlier this week and I thought then they sounded delectable. Now I know they are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, they look fantastic! and no doubt addictive. Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! Love the cloud of icing sugar on top :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love nuts. Any nuts. These look so good. I'm glad you got a great recipe.
    We're fans of Sophie Grigson ourselves although actually we only have one of her books - the fish one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry - forgot to tick the box to email comments to me - I can't keep up if I don't.
    Is there a way to register for comments to be emailed without typing out a pointless comment?

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look adorable! Love them! Also great that you got the recipe from a book that isn"t one of the latest around (read, Dan Lepard. He's genius, but have been seeing his name too much lately)! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw Sophie ~Grigson make these before Christmas and thought they looked delicious and then promptly forgot about them. I love pecans so they're definitly worth giving a go. Thanks for the reminder! GG

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also a big fan of sophie Grigson! Her recipes rock!
    T
    hese cookies look delightful, Phil! I love pecans! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What sort of violence??????

    They look and sound so good it might have been worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving these little guys! They look and sound very addictive ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These little cakes look lovely, just my sort of thing and as I am typing my mouth is watering!There is a "southern flavour" in them. In the south of Italy we bake something similar with almonds.
    Beautiful recipes, I will follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the comments, everyone. Ms Grigson says that she makes these at Christmas time each year and I can see why.
    Alida - Thanks for following. I'd not thought about it before but now that you mention it, they are similar to some Italian sweet nibbles that I've had before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look yummy Phil. I think a biscuit a minute is perfectly acceptable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I would have to threaten myself with violence too, pecans are my favourite type of nut!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look so perfect - like fluffy white snowballs, though I'd imagine they taste a good bit more sinful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahahahaha..."threatened myself with violence"...yep...these were classic Christmas cookies while I was growing up and they are, indeed, hard to resist!
    I'm new to your blog and I am just charmed by it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hahahahaha..."threatened myself with violence"...yep...these were classic Christmas cookies while I was growing up and they are, indeed, hard to resist!
    I'm new to your blog and I am just charmed by it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Sorry but I've had to switch word verification on due to a vast amount of very depressing spam.

Popular posts from this blog

Palestine Soup

Hollygog Pudding

Duck Apicius