Banana Soup

This oddly-nostalgic recipe might seem a bit strange these days but I was reminded of this savoury soup when I dredged the recipe for Chicken Liver Pâté with Rum and Mango out of my memory a while ago. Around the late eighties or early nineties, there was a brief trend among some British recipe writers to celebrate cooking with bananas. I remember a number of recipes for banana chutney (often very tasty), banana jam (interesting but usually ludicrously sweet) and soups such as this one. I've made this from memory, so it may not be entirely true to the period.

I don't think of this as a hearty, lunchtime soup to satisfy your appetite after a hard morning's work. Rather, I think it's a soup to serve in small bowls as a starter. But what do I know? It's certainly a different way of enjoying bananas that's hopefully not too different for your guests. I seem to remember one restaurant serving a soup something like this with one or two freshly cooked prawns. I'm not entirely convinced about that combination but you might like to try it.

The small amount of liqueur enhances the flavours but, if you want to avoid alcohol, then leave it out  - it's not truly critical. You could use a reduced-fat coconut milk in this soup; it will be less rich but that might not always be a bad thing. 

Banana Soup

As a starter this should serve between 4 and 6 people, depending on appetite; as a more substantial lunch soup it should serve 3.


1 -2 tsp coconut oil

1 small onion, finely chopped

2 cm (or thereabouts) fresh ginger, grated

2 tbsp white rice

½ tsp ground cumin 

½ tsp ground coriander

½ tsp lemongrass, crushed (optional because it's a bit of a faff but, if you have some, it's worth using)

500 ml vegetable stock

200 ml coconut milk

1 - 2 tsp Malibu (or other coconut rum liqueur)

Juice of ½ lime

2 bananas, peeled and sliced

Chilli sauce to serve


In a pan that has a lid, soften the onion for around 10 minutes in the coconut oil. Add the ginger and continue frying for another minute. Stir in the rice, cumin, coriander and lemongrass. Pour in the stock and coconut milk, stir thoroughly and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down, cover the pan and let it simmer gently for 25 minutes. 

Add the Malibu, lime juice, bananas, some salt and pepper and take the pan off the heat. Purée the soup; this is a quick process, so a hand blender is probably easiest. Check the seasoning and the balance of sweet and sour flavours. If you're using very ripe, sweet bananas then you might find you need more lime juice. 

Reheat and serve with a swirl or drizzle of whatever chilli sauce you fancy. If you want to avoid adding any chilli, then a little lemon ketchup or sauce makes a good, albeit slightly less colourful, alternative.

Comments

  1. Phil, it would never occur to me to make a soup of bananas! But a small bowl as a starter sounds rather nice. Like you, I'm not entirely convinced about the addition of prawns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not an obvious choice for a soup at all (except, perhaps, if you happen to live where bananas grow) but I seem to have come across versions of banana soup every 5 or 10 years since the 1970s. I don't think it will ever become a mainstream dish but it certainly is a break from the norm.

      Delete
  2. No pc or laptop at present. Have never heard of banana soup. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This soup is a rare beast, I admit. I'm sorry to hear that you're out of electronic contact at the moment.

      Delete
  3. I have to confess that I can't quite get my head around this soup! Banana means "sweet" to me and to combine it with savoury ingredients seems a stretch too far for my unsophisticated palate. So much so that I might just have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it isn't the sort of dish that's common in European kitchens but then we can't grow bananas very easily. It's true that bananas are sweet but so are parsnips and they make excellent soup (in fact, adding a banana to parsnip soup can work well, too). Anyway, I think this is a bit less odd than Nigella's banana peel curry.

      Delete
    2. I saw that and thought it rather "unusual"!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Sorry but I've had to switch word verification on due to a vast amount of very depressing spam.

Popular posts from this blog

Palestine Soup

Hollygog Pudding

Duck Apicius