Chilled Mango Soup

I'm not usually a big fan of chilled soup but this is an intriguing little appetiser that's a little bit different. The inspiration for this soup came from an Indian restaurant back in the 1980s, but I've changed it a fair bit since the days when Frankie went to Hollywood with a Filofax under his arm. Since then we've had an ocean of smoothies coming and going in popularity, so you could think of this as a slightly odd, savoury smoothie served in a soup bowl, if you prefer.

Mangoes can vary a lot in size and sweetness, so taste and adjust the flavour of the soup as you see fit. Although this is a very simple little recipe, it can be made even simpler if you replace the coconut milk and yoghurt with a supermarket coconut yoghurt and the fresh mango with a tin of mango pulp. I don't think this even simpler version tastes quite as good but, if you're pushed for time, it can still be pretty satisfying. You may well find that canned mango is a bit too sweet, so add a little lemon juice, if it needs it. 

This will feed at least 2 but, if you serve it as an elegant little starter, it will certainly be enough for 4. You don't need much to enjoy the punchy flavour.

1 ripe mango, preferably fairly large
1 orange or yellow pepper 
1 tbsp sliced pickled chillies (less if don't want the heat) - yellow chillies would be ideal 
10 basil leaves
4 tbsp coconut milk
4 tbsp plain yoghurt (fat-free would be OK, if you prefer it that way)
A generous pinch (or two) ground cumin
A little sugar (optional)

To serve:

A little extra yoghurt
A sprinkling of crisp, fried onions or shallots (optional)
A dribble of sour cherry molasses (optional)

Remove the skin of the pepper in the time-honoured way by grilling or roasting it first and letting it cool in a sealed bag or covered bowl. Peel the mango and cut the flesh into rough chunks.

Add the peeled pepper, mango, chillies, basil, coconut milk, yoghurt and cumin to a blender and season with a little salt. Wizz until the mixture is very smooth. Taste and adjust the flavours to your liking. The soup is intended to have a slightly sour character but, if the mango isn't sweet enough to balance the flavours, then add a little sugar and wizz again. 

Keep the soup in the fridge until needed. To serve, add a dollop or swirl of extra yoghurt and, optionally, scatter on a few crisp, fried onions. A little sour cherry molasses also adds an extra flavour boost, if you happen to have any to hand.

Comments

  1. Oh my, this sounds and looks wonderful although........personally I can't take chillies any more so would have to omit them or substitute something.
    Speaking as one who still has a Filofax and uses it regularly as well as listening (occasionally) Frankie goes to Hollywood, I can honestly say that this recipe is right up my street. The colour is amazing and chilled soups are just perfect for the time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Admittedly, I do like the heat and the slight sourness from the pickled chillies but this recipe will still work without them. Adding an extra pepper gives a similar taste without the heat. Or, at least, it does for me.

      Delete
  2. Gosh this is a bit different, but what a perfect starter for a curry night. Such a gorgeous colour too. Reckon it needs to be fresh mangoes though.
    I managed to miss out on the Filofax thing, even though pretty much everyone I knew had one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh mangoes are definitely better in my opinion, but I added the faster, canned option after a conversation with someone who, for obscure reasons, was trying to feed a group of people from what they had in the kitchen cupboards. I agree, this would be ideal for a curry night, if only to wake up the taste buds.
      My "Filofax" was a cheap, fake version but it went well with my cheap suit as I mooched around Westminster, trying to look like I knew what I was doing.

      Delete
  3. Phil, gorgeous photo! I think this soup would make the perfect starter for a main-dish portion of the salad I just posted! Must see if I can pick up a mango or two next week. I don't often make a chilled soup, but this has been *the* summer to really enjoy them. Don't knock the Filofax (or its equivalents)—I used my own customized version throughout the 90s and 00s. If I was still running a business, I would still be toting it around! Have never been tempted to go electronic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't often go for chilled soups either. To be honest, I've eaten some very disappointing examples over the years but in hot, summer weather they can be just right. I certainly wouldn't ever criticise the Filofax, I know many people who found them invaluable, but they did briefly become an odd sort of fashion accessory for some in the 80s. I've never really gone truly electronic either. In fact, these days I tend to go for the chaotic and disorganised approach.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Sorry but I've had to switch word verification on due to a vast amount of very depressing spam.

Popular posts from this blog

Palestine Soup

Hollygog Pudding

Duck Apicius